The Turkish Prime Minister has disclosed that the death toll of the attempted coup has risen to 161, while 2,839 soldiers have been detained as a result of their bid to overthrow the civilian government. Turkish Prime Minister, Binali Yildirim, on Saturday said 161 people were killed, 1,440 people wounded, while 2,839 soldiers including high-ranking officers, have been detained as a result of the attempt to overthrow the civilian government in the country, declaring that the attempted coup that is now over.
In a night he called a “black stain on Turkish democracy”, he said 161 people had been killed and 1,440 wounded.
Explosions and gunfire were heard in Ankara, Istanbul and elsewhere overnight and thousands of Turks heeded President Erdogan’s call to rise up against the coup-plotters. It is not clear who is behind the coup.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan blamed a “parallel structure”, in a clear reference to Fethullah Gulen, a powerful but reclusive US-based Muslim cleric he accuses of fomenting unrest.
However, in a statement, Mr Gulen rejected any suggestion he had links to the events, saying he condemned “in the strongest terms, the attempted military coup in Turkey”.
Prime Minister Yildirim said the situation was now “completely under control” and the government’s commanders were now back in charge.